Grex Vocalis (The Singing Flock) was formed in 1971. The repertoire spans from renaissance to contemporary Norwegian music. The choir has been awarded Spellemannsprisen (the Norwegian equivalent to the Grammy Award) for three of its fourteen albums, and won 1st prizes in national and international contests: Arezzo, Gorizia, Tolosa and Marktoberdorf.
In 1999 Grex Vocalis was awarded ”Il Gran Premio Città di Arezzo” as best choir of the year.
Grex Vocalis has three times reached the finals of the BBC contest “Let the Peoples Sing”.
Over the years Grex Vocalis has commissioned and premiered works by major Norwegian composers including Knut Nystedt, Trond Kverno and Arne Nordheim, but also performed baroque oratorios such as Handel: Messiah; Bach: Mass in B-minor, Christmas Oratorio; Rameau: In convertendo, Quam dilecta; Charpentier: Te Deum; Lully: Te Deum; Delalande: Te Deum. Performances of Brahms’s Requiem, Penderecki’s Passion of St. Luke and Verdi’s Quattro Pezzi Sacri are also part of the choir’s portfolio.
The first Norwegian recording of Händel’s Messiah was released in 1997 featuring Greg Vocalis and Oslo Baroque Orchestra.
Grex Vocalis four latest CD releases: ”Crux” (presenting Norwegian music from the 20th century), ”Liberté” (a compilation of works by Francis Poulenc), “Magnum Mysterium” and “Edvard Grieg: Choral Music” are highly acclaimed both home and abroad.
Grex40 is a collection of highlights through the choir’s 40 years history, including new releases of Sverre Berghs: And death shall have no dominion, Heinrich Poos: Auferstehn, and the beautiful Irish blessing arranged by James Moore.
- 1975 1st prize, The Norwegian Radio National Contest for Choirs
- 1977 1st prize, Folksongs, Arezzo, Italy
- 1977 2nd prize, Polyfonic music, Arezzo, Italy
- 1982 1st prize, Polyfonic music, Gorizia, Italy
- 1982 2nd prize, Folksongs, Gorizia, Italy
- 1992 1st prize, Polyfonic music, Tolosa, Spain
- 1993 1st prize, Marktoberdorf, Germany
- 1999 1st prize, Polyfonic music, Arezzo, Italy
- 1999 Grand Prize, Il Gran Premio Città di Arezzo
- 2010 Guidoneum Award, Guidoneum Festival Arezzo
- 2012 1st prize, Festival Internacional de Música de Cantonigròs, Vic, Catalonia/Spain